Monday, September 3, 2007

I Have Put Aside Love

Capitolio, Habana, Cuba, 2006


Cando's Room, Habana, 2006


El Rincon, Habana, 2006


Calimete, Cuba, 2006


Revolucion es Energia, along the highway, Cuba, 2006


El Medico, Habana, Cuba, 2006


Title taken from the translated version of Jose Marti's poem, Yo Soy Un Hombre Sincero... (Verso I) [A Sincere Man Am I (Verse I)]:

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

I'm a traveller to all parts,
And a newcomer to none:
I am art among the arts,
With the mountains I am one.

I know how to name and class
All the strange flowers that grow;
I know every blade of grass,
Fatal lie and sublime woe.

...

If they say I have obtained
The pick of the jeweller's trove,
A good friend is what I've gained
And I have put aside love.
....

On my brave heart is engraved
The sorrow hidden from all eyes:
The son of a land enslaved,
Lives for it, suffers and dies.

All is beautiful and right,
All is as music and reason;
And all, like diamonds, is light
That was coal before its season.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm still so jealous of your trip to Cuba. Every photo is amazing.